Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Not your typical Home School Mom

Well, for starters, I don’t wear a denim jumper; in fact, I don’t own a denim jumper. And on top of that I don’t even like to wear a skirt or dress. I’m definitely a pants-wearing kind of girl. And I don’t dress my children in matching clothes, even for family portraits.
Secondly, I am no Betty Crocker. Sure, I cook dinner for my family on a regular basis, but maybe cook is too strong a word. I serve them dinner most evenings of the week, but that doesn’t mean I actually cook what I serve. I have learned much about cooking, in my 15 years of marriage and I will continue to learn, mostly from my gourmet-loving husband. He is the true cook of the family. It’s just that his day job interferes with his hobby of cooking.
And lastly, I am definitely an upper-middle-class, college-educated person who lives in a city. We don’t own any livestock, don’t live on acreage, don’t sew our own clothes, don’t bake our own bread and don’t plan to anytime soon. (Though we do LOVE fresh-baked bread) While this is certainly the statistical norm of the American, homeschool, Mom, it certainly isn’t the stereotypical one.
My latest hobbies are photography, reading and now writing along with snow skiing, camping and occasional scrapbooking; Although, it is difficult to accomplish much of anything toward a hobby during most school days.

No comments: